Sunday, April 19, 2009

Things I Think I Might Have Been

Life takes each of us down many unexpected paths, while challenging us as we make our way down planned ones.  Both types of excursions are rewarding and worthy of reflection. But what about the paths we never did take?

I think in all of this writing and teaching and researching, I may have missed a couple of turn here signs. One pointed to Archeologist. I often romanticize about freeing the skeleton of something older than our imaginations from the earth and rock around it  - digging with tweezers and a small paintbrush in the middle of nowhere.

At the time I was considering the field of archeology, it was the beginning of the last big recession, and the mindset around me was all about finding a job. The statistics for archeologists and paleontologists in even related work were grim – and that was with a PhD in hand; a bit daunting for an 18 year old with a bachelor degree as her goal. Of course, the real reason I missed this calling are obvious to me now. I like to sleep in my own bed, for starters. And life without a flush toilet is simply not an option.

Then there is my non-existent career as a professional musician. A cellist to be exact. Somehow I have it in my head that if I had started to play at five years old, I really could have been good. Really good. But I began playing the cello at 45 , and I am not really good at all.

My third vocation that never came to be was that of lawyer. I only bring it up because others say that it is what they think I am cut out for. From time to time I imagine myself out on the veranda between Denny Crane and Alan Shore with a scotch neat. I think I have the stomach for the drama and the brains to know law.  But I would have to pass on the scotch. And I am not sure if this is just a television thing, but there are a lot of lawyers still in their offices after the sun goes down. I love my life, and my evenings too much for that.

Archeologist – Concert Cellist – Defense Attorney … perhaps not.  I can’t help wondering if the pathways I went down were not the right ones after all. I like what I do and my pathways may have come just close enough anyway. I have a treasured collection of animal bones – skulls of birds, a coyote, steer that I used as a visual arts teacher as objects to study for drawing and painting. After 3 years of lessons as a beginner cellist, I play my cello on Friday nights with the piano accompaniment of a friend – for nothing else than the pleasure of being able.  As for the legal side of life… I will continue to enjoy living vicariously through Candice Bergen’s character (Shirley) as soon as I figure out which night they switched Boston Legal to. And I couldn’t be more satisfied that all of the pathways in my life have converged at this place – co-author of an important new book about to release in just days.


 LEAD BABIES  Breaking the cycle of learning disabilities, declining IQ, ADHD, behavior problems, and autism


Authors: Joanna Cerazy M.Ed. and Sandra Cottingham Ph.D
www.nomoreleadbabies.com
Publisher: Kunati Inc (USA & Canada) 1-866-356-2442
www.kunati.com
Distribution: Independent Publishers Group (IPG)
ISBN: 978-1-60164-192-2

No comments:

Post a Comment