Friday, April 17, 2009

TO BE CANADIAN


I will admit upfront that I feel an exaggerated – and sometimes overbearing sense of ownership when it comes to Canada. As an 11th generation Canadian, there are all sorts of claims to fame in my family’s history, no doubt some of those exaggerated slightly over the years as well.

I will counter that with the occasional sense of frustration and embarrassment as “the Canadian way” is so often embodied in nationwide complacency around laws and policies that make absolutely no sense. Anything that smacks of injustice or unfairness infuriates me, but I am not one to chain myself to a bulldozer or take to the streets with a petition. (Remember? I am Canadian.)  The most outrageous protest I have personally waged of late was to write to the Finance Minister this winter, to complain that the banks were not passing the interest savings on to mortgage consumers, which I understood was the intent of the Bank of Canada. I expected something to be done, and said so. I got a nice letter back, signed by Minister Flaherty, which clearly missed my point.

But Last summer I had a very cool experience that genuinely rekindled my Canadian spirit. I was in Ottawa in late August, watching the light show that is projected against the Parliament buildings – a little low tech, but a lot of fun. Two sets of bleachers were packed and the lawn between them and the Parliament buildings was covered with families on blankets and lawn chairs, huddled in the dark.  As the show approached the end, and a rendition of O’Canada blared from the massive sound system, every single last man, woman and child spontaneously stood, and stayed standing until it ended. It was an unexpected and powerful few minutes that will stick with me for years to come.

Kudos, Canadians as we stand proud.


By Dr. Sandra Cottingham, co-author 

LEAD BABIES
Breaking the cycle of learning disabilities, declining IQ, ADHD, behavior problems, and autism

Authors: Joanna Cerazy M.Ed. and Sandra Cottingham Ph.D
www.nomoreleadbabies.com
Publisher: Kunati Inc (USA & Canada) 1-866-356-2442
www.kunati.com
Distribution: Independent Publishers Group (IPG)
ISBN: 978-1-60164-192-2

No comments:

Post a Comment